Total Pageviews

Friday 31 August 2012

MASS PAINTING ATTEMPT

In anticipation of the metric shitton of Mini's that I bought in for as part of the Reaper Bones Kickstarter I've decided to cease my ebay activities for awhile to try and catch up with the huge backlog that I've been steadily building up. I've found over the last couple of months I've spent most of my hobby time prepping mini's ready to be painted only for another load to turn up in the post as soon as I'm finished. With this in mind I've decided to break my models up into groups based on basic tones and colour pallets for example all the 'greenskins' together, all the pink fleshy things in one group and anything undead in another group and so on.

So to start with here's everything pink and fleshy ready to be 'fleshed' up, the thinking behind this is that if I get all the base shading done on all the mini's in a oner I can add variation in skin tone etc at the last stage with the highlighting:

Here they all are flesh based and washed in Ogryn Flesh wash and some Devlan Mud for the deeper recesses.

Here's a nearly finished example of what I'm going for across all the figures.

Below (on the right of the pic) is the last mini I received before my self imposed ebay ban, if anyone knows what range he's from let me know as he was just listed as a 'wargames giant'. There are no markings on his base and I'm guessing from the crudity of the sculpt that he's from late 70's or early 80's. To add to the mystery he seems to be cast in some very strong heavy duty metal as he weighs a ton despite being hollow and his sword is the least bent piece of lead I've seen. So if you have any idea give me a shout.

The only finished paint job I have for this update is an old Ral Partha Goblin Archer from their Fantasy Collector Series, i've gone for a more yellowy skintone rather than the usual green. This is also probably the last time that I do this as it was so fiddly but I managed to string his bow as it always bugs me seeing un-stringed bows. As I didn't have any wire thin enough to hand I used a stray beard hair which I won't be doing again as I don't think my nerves could take it due to the tendency of me to loose the hair due to me breathing near it. I've taken the photo's of the Goblin against two different colour backgrounds as I'm still not sure which shows off the mini best, please let me know which you think works best in the comments below.  


And on a completely none mini related note here's a picture of Gilbert one of my cats chilling on the couch

8 comments:

  1. Wowsers plenty to be getting on with there then. Your cat looks like he's about to dribble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not even half of what I have to get through unfortunately there's still a ton of stuff unbased in boxes that I'm going to pretend doesn't exist until I've worked my way through this lot. Yeah he's totally about to dribble all over the couch :)

      Delete
  2. Damn - just realised I'm going to have to do that with all my unpainted lead I'm sorting out at the moment...

    Nice use of the beard hair - must have been very fiddly!

    Can't help with the giant - as much as I like him, he wasn't a door stop in a previous incarnation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely fiddly, I almost gave up when the first attempt fell off and wafted away. I think I'll post him up on the Frothers forum as those guy's are usually quick on the identifying front

      Delete
  3. Wow, looks like my backlog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have a bunch of work ahead of you.
    Congrats on the Reaper pack headed your way. I managed to resist (just barely). I just wasn't sold on the plastic used, I was too fearful of it being bent out of place.
    I feel I do have a bit of remorse for missing out, it was a good looking set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like quite a bit of work, the goblin looks great though. There might be a market for "Goblin Beard-Bows", after all they're always fighting dwarfs must be plenty of beard hair about after one of those scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a large amount of zombies, thought u may be interested in learning about this: http://www.indiegogo.com/zombie-miniatures?c=home&a=1170894

    ReplyDelete