Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 June 2012

CITADEL ORCS AND A WANT LIST

I've given myself a break from painting zombies and gone back to some good old school citadel. It's partly due to the amazing Realm of Chaos 80's blog that my interest has been re-sparked:
The sheer volume of scans uploads and images that Orlygg is sourcing is a credit to the blogiverse (?) if you have any interest in old citadel stuff and if you haven't already checked it out I suggest you go and bask in it's warm nostalgi-glow.

Anyway here's my most recent paint jobs:
The two on the left were in one of the first citadel blister pack I ever bought back in the early nineties and have been saved from oil paint disaster. I think the one on the far right is part of the crew from one of the early orc war machines.

 All I need to finish them now are some plastic shields with suitable grinning faces
I think I went a bit mad on this one's base and went a bit over board on the mushrooms and other guff.
 The plant at the back of the base is a tiny cutting from the aquarium plant in the background.

I wanted to try and capture the old school look by creating some mushrooms for the bases, I think to I need to go smaller on the next lot as they are a little on the large side.
They were pretty easy to make, just green-stuff on sections of wire which were then trimmed off and drilled through the bases.

Inspired by this amazing post on the Realm of Chaos 80's blog:
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/do-you-have-miniatures-wish-list.html
I've put together a a very vague want list of old school citadel, this list is no way in any order of priority and subject to change whenever something else becomes my flavour of the month :)

1. A FULL SET OF C-SERIES ZOMBIES:
I think these are the best zombies that citadel/games workshop have ever released and capture the rotting shambling feel zombies should have perfectly. I'd love to have a complete set but don't really want to pay over the odds, so far I've managed to hoover quite a few of them up for nothing through ebay bulk lots.

2. MIGHTY FORTRESS
I had one of these, but stupidly sold it to my neighbours older brother when I grew out of collecting mini's in my teens and moved onto more grown up things  like dungeons & dragons (insert eye rolling emoticon here).
I love the simplicity of the model and the one I had got some good use in some crazy games of both 40k and fantasy.

3. FULL SET OF JES GOODWIN OGRES
The best Ogres ever created, so much variety and character in each sculpt. At the moment I've only managed to get hold of the guy in the bottom right giving the V's. The rest all seem to go for silly money and I'm nothing if not patient.

4. NIGHT HORRORS

I love this range, every sculpt is a complete one off, I've managed to grab a few here and there from ebay but most end up being completely out of price range.

5. GOBLIN KINS CHARIOT (COMPLETE)

I have most of this chariot as I my dad bought me one back a million years ago when I was 11 or 12 but for some reason I only have the boar the driver and the goblin on the back who for some reason is missing a foot. I'd love to have one painted up exactly as it was on the box.

6. MENTAL NON- GOAT BEASTMEN

















C'mon what's not to like about a snail man and an owl man, back from the time when Chaos was in fact actually chaotic and not all about the skulls and spikes

6. MINOTAUR LORDS
I've managed to get the bottom two for decent prices from ebay but the rest I keep missing out on or they go for more than I'm willing to pay.

I could keep going but I'm going to leave it at that and maybe come up with a proper list ordered by priority for a future update.




7 comments:

  1. Nice orcs! I've been collecting the night horrors for a few years now, and still there are 3 or 4 that elude me. Lovely models. I have managed to pick up all the zombies though, they are indeed the best zombies Citadel have ever done, and I did hold onto my fortress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I wasn't sure on whole pink bottom lip but I think it makes the faces a little more interesting and breaks up all the green.

      Delete
    2. No, it looks good. They have a realistic palette, but aren't muddy at all.

      Delete
    3. Again thanks very much, I think I need to purchase some brown variants for the next lot of orcs as I'm currently operating with only Snakebite leather and bestial brown which is limiting my pallet a little.

      Delete
  2. I too really like the realistic tone of your orcs. I'd love to know how you managed it- perhaps a painting guide post?

    An interesting list of wants. I share them all with you, though I own three or four of the ogres, the mighty fortress, the minotaurs and a smattering of the chaotic beastmen.

    I've just bought my first night horror. Fantastic range of horror stereotypes.

    Show us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'll try and put together a quick guide tonight as I've got a few more orcs to sort out, I'm at work all day tomorrow so it might not go up until tomorrow night.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure but there are some of those Zeds on ebay now I believe as single lots

    ReplyDelete